Wednesday 10 June 2015

Building the Underhive - Part 3 (market day)

It is highly possible that you're fed up of seeing yet more terrain. If I'm honest, I'm got a bit of terrain fatigue myself! But deadlines don't move, and terrain has to be finished for my BOYL game. On the plus side, I'm still making pretty good progress, and last night managed to paint up half of my market.



The stalls, as mentioned previously, are by Micro Arts Studio for their Wolsung range. Although my game in August is nominally set in Necromunda, I've expanded the setting slightly for these stalls. The wares on show have more of a north-African souk vibe I suppose!


The left-hand stall stocks some very useful pottery and decorative lamps. Both the lamps and pots are made from beads from a broken bracelet, provided by my daughter. The pierced lamps are unaltered beads, while the pots are round beads with a small metal hoop added to the top.

The central stall stocks a wide array of fruits and vegetables. In the photo at the top of the post, you should be able to see some exotic blue cauliflower type vegetables (cloves), some large berries or plums (mustard seeds) and squashes (cardamom pods).

On the other side of the stall, the rather fed up Eldar trader is trying to sell two varieties of small pumpkin (juniper berries) and another variety of squash (more cardamom pods). The price tags and little signs were a great idea - thanks to Seรกn aka theottovonbismarck.



I'm not entirely sure what the surly squat on the right is trying to sell. I think they're shields from an undead regiment - I'm not entirely sure why I had a stack of them in my bits box! I fancifully thought they might be some sort of ceremonial platter or decorative item that was displayed over doors on holy days, rather than simply being shields.

So that's another 3 terrain pieces done. Just 16 board tiles, 6 hab units and 3 more stalls to go. Oh, and 40 rioters :)

14 comments:

  1. Good pace and excellent output Jon. This Will ne a Game to remember !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB...I've got the fear of missing the deadline driving me onwards! I'm hoping to get all the terrain done before the end of the month, which will give me July to paint up the rioters.

      I really hope the terrain provides a suitable backdrop, for what I'm sure will be a really fun game!

      Delete
  2. The game will look amazing if nothing else Jon.

    Great stuff, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Colin - I've a lot to live up to after seeing Ferrograd last year!

      Delete
  3. Tired of terrain? Lord forfend!

    The little price tags really increase the verisimilitude. A few store banners might do so as well. "Aloof All-fruit" or "Vann's Vases" etc.

    And yes, those are shields from the newer skeletons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign and banners - yes. I shall address that oversight :) Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. Great! I cannot get tired of terrain!! I was also planning some kind of market for myself, I do like very much your approach, you are aa true sourde of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber. I think markets / street vendors are inextricably linked to good scifi scenes in my mind...I'm thinking Mos Eisley or Bladerunner.

      Delete
  5. Was the bracelet broken before your daughter donated it?

    ReplyDelete

  6. The squat is selling ceremonial platters/shields, commemorating the anniversary of the gruesome death of some Ecclesiarchy Saint, obviously ;)

    I understand the terrain fatigue well, but I do think that you are making a marvellous job of it. Im definitely going to have to use the beads and seeds approach when I get around to something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saint Odwald the Insincere I think!

      I've got a joint painting session planned with a mate on Sunday. Hopefully a communal session will break the monotony!

      Delete
  7. Hope you are bringing these down to Apperley Towers for the test run???
    Beautiful work old friend.

    ReplyDelete