Tuesday 29 March 2016

Storytellers and Mystics - Eldar Bonesinger

Jes Goodwin tells us with some authority that Eldar Bonesingers are mystics, psykers and priests to wraithbone. A Bonesinger is a "creator of [the starship's] wraithbone skeleton" and also a storyteller who recounts "the stories of those in the spirit stone[s]."

Eldar Starship Crew concepts by Jes Goodwin, published in White Dwarf 119.

Bonesingers therefore appear to be a combination of bard, priest and engineer. Creator of Eldar technology, link with the dead and an important conduit in terms of cultural continuity. In short, they are interesting characters with more depth than the future-delving Farseers or war-psyker Warlocks.

It made sense that my Eldar Pirate warband should include a Bonesinger, not only for the practicalities of caring for their ship, but also as a moderating factor to the warlike and wild crew.

Rarely does Lriael Spellsister set foot on the surface of any planet, so occupied is she with caring for the Wraithbone core and superstructure of the Shimmersand Hawk. Indeed, few of the Free Company seek her out, for she sings to the dead and wild souls do not wish to be reminded of their own mortality. 

 
I had converted up a Bonesinger model last year, but only now got round to painting her up. The figure is based on the androgynous form of the Eldar Trader from the Rogue Trader Adventurers range. 
 
Comparison of the converted model with the original trader.
 
I removed the original (damaged) head and replaced it with a suitable helmet from a custom Eldar Bonesinger figure. The skirt was sculpted over the legs, while the lute came from a Reaper pack of musical instruments, the strap being made from thin plastic.
 
 
Lriael's feline familiar is a plastic elf cat from one of the Mantic sets - just the right size to be added to the base!
 
 
I knew I wanted Lriael's dress and fitted jacket combo to follow the same Japanese style that I've used on most of the other members of the warband, and I hadn't done any yellow to date. A quick google search for yellow kimino patters threw up the one below, which I used as the basis for Lriael's design. I think the yellow and dark teal combination is pretty striking.
 


 I think the different patterned fabrics are starting to look pretty eye-catching together:



17 comments:

  1. That blue to yeallow fade is really nice and with the dot patterns it really makes an elegant and characterful model really !
    Impressive to see how unique the band looks now.
    (Trying to forget you butchered a poor eldar trader)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was already facially deformed - what else could I do?!

      Glad you like her:)

      Delete
  2. This is flippin' marvellous mate - such a cool conversion, and the colour choice is inspired! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling there might be a lot of collectors crying into their beards at the conversion, but I'm pleased you like it!

      I can only thank the internet for the colours...I just knew I wanted yellow :)

      Delete
  3. The robes are fantastic. I'm always a sucker for those old-school star effects on clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've tried a pretty simple approach with white dots.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic conversion and paintjob! I love how you dress your Eldar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! I've really enjoyed visiting Eldar in a bit more depth. I will definitely be sad when this project comes to its conclusion.

      Delete
  5. Another inspired conversion and paint up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback - glad you like the figure :)

    ReplyDelete

  7. That Eldar band has really become something special Axiom. It seems to me to be a group on the path of the Outcast that is mentioned in the background but rarely (if ever) actually seen in miniature.

    In short, you are working on a project that I have wanted to set aside time for myself for years and doing it with panache.

    Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The path of the outcast is infinitely broad I think. I suspect that any other interpretation will provide a unique and interesting take on teenage rebellious Eldar!

      Can't wait to see what you produce when you eventually get round to it.

      Delete
  8. That is a great conversion, and the robe painting is excellent as well. I guess the only criticism I can proffer is that I would like to have seen the stars come up a bit more on the right, maybe to the hip. Even that seems a bit forced, so as to avoid saying "wow, great work, +1" every time you post something.

    well, that and a lute seems pretty mundane for Eldar... should have at least added a few pipes and vents to make it a haunting wail lute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very valid comments. I guess I didn't want to overdo the stars on the robe - they could go higher onto the hip quite happily though.

      As for the lute, I did play around with some Eldar extensions but they didn't seem to integrate, so I decided to leave it with the simple traditional shape. Maybe she prefers the rustic style?!

      Delete
  9. Excellent choice for your kimono reference and an equally excellent implementation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I never thought I'd be trawling Google for nice looking kimonos!

      Delete
  10. I'm most absolutely in love with this one. It's a masterpiece. I would have never sorted the original mini if you hadn't tell. Beautiful work, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete